ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] The GAC weighs in on MR2

  • To: "soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] The GAC weighs in on MR2
  • From: Evan Leibovitch <evan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 11:46:48 -0400

New GAC advice on the gTLD program:
http://www.icann.org/en/topics/new-gtlds/gac-comments-new-gtlds-26may11-en.pdf

JAS-relevant comment is on Page 12. We are explicitly commended for
innovative approaches and an attempt to address GAC concerns. Furthermore,
the advice is actually asking for a cost reduction greater than JAS has
proposed (it wants the application fee dropped to less than $47,000)

This, together with the introduction of the JAS Milestone Report 2 at the
Board's meeting in Turkey, means that

   - The inability (or unwillingness, I don't care which) of the GNSO to
   accept and forward the Second Milestone Report (let alone endorse) is now
   completely irrelevant -- our issue is on the highest-level agendas. As far
   as I care, GNSO can continue to sit on MR2 (just as it still sits on MR1).
   - The current recommendation, rather than being seen as a most radical
   shift, is now actually a middle ground between the GAC stance and the status
   quo
   - We now have further justification for the additional resources
   requested in the last JAS phone call

- Evan