ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Re: On "bundling" (was: comment on the Andruff Bundling Letter)

  • To: ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Re: On "bundling" (was: comment on the Andruff Bundling Letter)
  • From: Andrew Mack <amack@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 17:14:19 -0400

Eric,
Thanks for a helpful contribution.  I think some rules may be useful.  My
concern is that the language preservation/recovery function does not need to
be performed only/strictly by a "language recovery or language preservation
institution".

Three reasons why come to mind:

1) because there may not always be such a specifically chartered institution
in all places where it could be useful, or that institution may not have the
capacity to get the job done

2) because the kinds of institutions that might be tasked with this
responsibility (e.g. government or academic institutions) may be politically
captured -- here I'm thinking about the existing divisions in the Amharic
diaspora community that is about 100% at odds with the government of
Ethiopia

3) because I see some real value in having more than one group involved in
language preservation, as this may actually get more of the outcome we want
-- to your point about serving both the diaspora and in-country voices,
which often have different needs and interests, and in the recognition that
even in language preservation, language/ethnic communities often don't agree
on what to do.

Cheers, Andrew

--
*
                                                       *

***Andrew A. Mack
**Principal
*AMGlobal Consulting

+1-202-642-6429  amack@xxxxxxxxxxxx
2001 Massachusetts Avenue, NW  First Floor
Washington, DC 20036
www.amglobal.com