ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Re: On "bundling" (was: comment on the Andruff Bundling Letter)

  • To: SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Re: On "bundling" (was: comment on the Andruff Bundling Letter)
  • From: ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 17:08:54 -0400

Andrew,

I'm aware of your concerns, as we've discussed the subject off of the JAS
mailing list.

These and similar concerns can be expressed as exceptions to some general
rule(s) not yet developed.

The general rule(s) will either exclude Versign, Afilias, NeuStar and others,
because the rule(s) is (are) designed to distinguish between the interest
of language preservation and the interest of market capture, or the general
rule(s) won't exclude Versign, Afilias, NeuStar and others, because the rule(s)
is (are) designed not to distinguish between the interest of language
preservation and the interest of market capture.

The problem, which is not that of the JAS WG, as the Board made that decision
in the text of Resolution 20, but to others who are concerned with the issue
of cost and opportunity of language diversity using the DNS and registries as
mechanisims to advance preservation or recover goals, is to choose one or the
other of these mutually exclusive rule(s).

Eric