ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Capturing feedback from today's face-to-face

  • To: ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Capturing feedback from today's face-to-face
  • From: Elaine Pruis <elaine@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 09:41:28 +0800

Though I agree that local registrars in developing economies are scarce, I strongly disagree with the concept of JAS working towards propping up registrars in developing economies. It is outside our charter and would be a diversion of funds that (as soon as announced) have been proclaimed as too little for the charted task. The ccTLD operators would be the most natural avenue for registrar creation and growth in developing economies, and with the impetus coming from the ccTLD space, these new registrars would have a market ready-product to cut their teeth on before new gTLDs are delegated sometime in 2013.

Elaine