ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Discounted Pricing for Underserved Communities

  • To: richardtindal@xxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Discounted Pricing for Underserved Communities
  • From: ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 21:58:00 -0400

> I think it would be useful for the JAS to indicate whether this sort
> of contribution from commercial interests is welcome or not

The Board already addressed this in Resolution 20 at Nairobi, and subsequently
at Singapore.

> I know several commercial concerns who are contemplating contributing
> cash and/ or services to the ICANN seed fund.

Of course. Just as there are commercial contributors to NSRC's capacity
building workshops, to IETF meetings, to ICANN meetings, .... there will
be responses to Res20 et seq by commercial contributors.

For some it may serve self-interest, e.g., branding. For others it may
serve market growth e.g., increase in network infrastructure sales
globally. Whether it is earned media or paid media, its just plain media
for others.

> If its not something thats welcome it would be good to communicate that.

We can't retract Resolution 20, and the Board was pretty plain when it
asked "the community" to find solutions.

Eric