ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] WG Scope?

  • To: "soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] WG Scope?
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 10:44:47 -0400

On 27 Jun 2011, at 09:49, Michele Neylon :: Blacknight wrote:

> On 27 Jun 2011, at 14:37, Avri Doria wrote:
>

>> On 27 Jun 2011, at 09:00, Michele Neylon :: Blacknight wrote:
>>
>>> What exactly is our charter?
>>
>> https://community.icann.org/display/jaswg/Charter
>

> Thanks

You are most welcome.    I am always willing to help people find things that
are on our wiki page. such a small amount of work for such a big payoff.

> So could someone explain to me why they think it is in scope to:
>
> - expect that registry backend providers be based "in country". While I can
> see how that might be viewed as desirable by some people I honestly don't see
> how it is in scope.

Good question.

I think it falls under

a. C1, the requirement to propose criteria for financial support: The criteria
of support includes budget, business plans etc..   Decision on which RSP to use
and how much must be paid for those services are indeed part of the entire
package that needs to be evaluated in making the granting decision.

a. C3, the requirement to figure how to provide assistance for those seeking
help from Registry Service providers:  Given the contracts that may be offered
and the conditions of those contracts including the disposition on the
indigenous resources contained in the string, the best way to provide such
assistance might involve recommending that regional non-profit RSPs be
established in those developing economies that do not already have them.

> - expect that this group support/assist in the creation of registrars in
> developing countries. Again, while I can see how this might be seen as being
> desirable by some I can't see how it is in scope. it's also anti-competitive
> and wide open to being abused / gamed.

I am not sure I agree with your assessment that this is any more a gaming
attractor than pots of money available for those who help applicants from
developing economies.  But I do agree that it does not seem to be in our
current scope.  That is why I recommend that ALAC member work on establishing a
group to work on the goal.

a.