ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Consistency - and Clarification - of Terminology for Final Report

  • To: Carlton Samuels <carlton.samuels@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Consistency - and Clarification - of Terminology for Final Report
  • From: Evan Leibovitch <evan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 04:18:55 -0400

> The following questions are for your advice and consent:
>
> -  Name of the program being proposed. Is it *Support Development Program
> Evaluation Process*?

Two word two long. Support Evaluation Process works just as well.

-  Name of the foundation that is to hold the $2M or other donation

> -  Name for the applicant asking for support. Do we still want to call it
> applicant? Is this confusing with the New gTLD Program? We could consider
> alternatives, such as, New gTLD program Support Candidates or something to
> that effect.

How about "support-requested applicant" for those in the queue and
"support-qualified applicant" for those who meet the objective criteria?

> -  In-kind services – have we agreed on this term for any non-financial
> support offered?

I have objected to the term "in kind" in the past because it assumes that a
monetary equivalence matters to this process, and it doesn't.
Without the need for monetary valuation, such a term is confusing at best
and meaningless at worst. If "non financial support" is a usable term, it's
sufficiently direct and descriptive -- stick with that. "Contributed
services" also works.

-  Developing economies – we still use, countries, nations, etc….

There can be poor societies within rich countries. It is the JAS group's
determination whether to limit applicants to lesser developed countries, or
to broaden it to allow for demonstrably poor communities in developed
countries. Some instances of Aboriginal groups certainly meet this
definition.

A clear discussion of this question hasn't really happened that I'm aware.

 We will have a 5-minute period allotted on the call tomorrow for your final
> advice and consent.

I can't make the call.

I personally do not consent to the use of the term "in-kind" and disagree
strongly with its use.

I would prefer that a proper discussion take place over the suitability of
poor applicant communities in rich countries for the JAS program. We have,
in most cases, been using "developing economies" because the question was
never fully resolved.

- Evan