ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] COI recommendation

  • To: soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] COI recommendation
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 23:50:21 +0200

Hi,

Over the course of the JAS various members of this group have suggested methods
for resolving the COI issues.  Also a various times, participants have
advocated insurance process.    I was speaking to someone in the Registries SG
group the other day and was reminded of a proposal that showed up most of the
time in the Registries comments of the guidebook, the lates being
http://forum.icann.org/lists/6gtld-guide/msg00034.html, that I think the JAS
should adapt and adopt:

> On Page A-46 Attachment to Module 2 – “Evaluation Questions and Criteria”,
> there is a reference to a Continuing Operations Instrument (COI). The only
> guidance in the latest version of the AGv6 is the following:
>
> “The Continued Operations Instrument (COI) is invoked by ICANN if necessary
> to pay for an Emergency Back End Registry Operator (EBERO) to maintain the
> five critical registry functions for a period of three to five years. Thus,
> the cost estimates are tied to the cost for a third party to provide the
> functions, not to the applicant’s actual in-house or subcontracting costs for
> provision of these functions. Note that ICANN is building a model for these
> costs in conjunction with potential EBERO service providers.  Thus,
> guidelines for determining the appropriate amount for the COI will be
> available to the applicant.”
>
> In the opinion of the RySG, this description is not sufficiently clear and
> has been a significant impediment to new applicants in their ability to raise
> funds or to engage in the appropriate business planning required for
> submitting an application. With the current proposal ICANN is asking people
> to “double down” on their domain which will lock out a number of potentially
> viable applicants who may not qualify for special assistance if they are not
> a “disadvantaged” group but still might not have yet another pot of money to
> draw from. In addition, the ability for companies to secure a letter of
> credit from a reputable financial institution following the recent crash of
> the financial markets has been difficult at best.  Securing an LOC with a
> financial institution is essentially the same as putting that amount of money
> aside in a cash escrow.  The cash escrow, as a reminder, is money that is put
> aside that cannot be touched by the applicant.  Rather than using that money
> to make its own TLD more secure or successful in the marketplace, the money
> instead remains unavailable. We are also very concerned that this requirement
> could significantly disadvantage new entrants to the marketplace,
> particularly those who have relatively fewer financial resources.
>
> Therefore, the RySG recommends the following proposal replace the existing
> COI language:
>
> The RySG supports the creation of a pseudo-insurance fund paid for by each of
> the new gTLD Registry Operators for the first five years following launch of
> the new gTLD.    As an example, we believe that requiring each registry
> operator to pay an additional $5,000 in Registry Fees per year to ICANN (or
> its designee) for the specific purpose of funding two or three Emergency Back
> End Registry Operators should be sufficient.  At the low estimate of 200
> approved new gTLDs, that would be approximately $1 million per year to fund
> the EBEROs (“EBERO Fund”).  Although $5,000 per year may seem like a high
> amount, the estimated amount of an LOC or cash escrow to fund three years of
> [...]

In the case of the JAS, this is another expense that could be covered by the
fund seeded by the ICANN Board.

a.