ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Terminology agreement per August 2 agenda

  • To: SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Terminology agreement per August 2 agenda
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 21:34:35 -0400

On 4 Aug 2011, at 19:17, Karla Valente wrote:

> #2 - ICANN gTLD Support Fund. It is more specific and gives ICANN more
> flexibility if it decides to have other funds in the future for other needs.

since Carlton says the name is already decided "locked" as it were, I guess it
mat be a little late for this explanation.

The reason I suggested a broader working name, is that there are those in the
community who think that things like the auctions funds should not necessarily
all be applied to the new gTLD program.  Other uses mentioned have been, e.g.
the reserve fund.  While I myself am in favor of applying all of the auction
fund to support of Qualified Support Recipients, I think this needs to be
decided by the broader community.  Hence my suggestion of a broader working
title for the Fund.

Since it is just a working name, and since I suggest we still leave the final
naming to the board and the committee we may be recommending they form, this
may not be a very critical point.  I wanted to bring it up, and I would request
that some form of this distinction be made in a footnote or something in the
final document so we can avoid the protest that might come as a result of a
presumption that we are excluding other possible uses of auctions funds.  I
reiterate my hope that auction funds, beyond those needed to replenish the
development fund and reserve fund monies used to defray the application fees
for Qualified applicants, be part of the Funds resources, and that those
resources be focused on qualified Applicant support.

a.