ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] MEETING NOTES - JAS WG Meeting August 9

  • To: "soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] MEETING NOTES - JAS WG Meeting August 9
  • From: Wendy Profit <wendy.profit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 07:59:02 -0700

Dear JAS WG participants:
In follow up to today's call, please find below the meeting notes I took.  With
regard to the comments on consensus, and for the benefit of anyone who missed
today's call, I will additionally extract them from the transcript when it
becomes available and forward that section specifically to the WG in the name
of accurate accounting for what was said on the call (as my notes may be an
incomplete reflection though I tried to capture as much as possible).  And if
anyone does not agree with the consensus statements, the process moving forward
would be to respond to the forthcoming consensus comments from the transcript
with any concerns or disagreement of consensus status, in which case we will
change to non-consensus or one of the other appropriate categories.
I hope this accurately characterizes what was said on the call today; and
please correct me if I'm wrong.
Thank you,
Wendy Profit
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
JAS WG Meeting Notes
p. 17-19 on the final report, or look in the notes section.  Floor is open.
Alan.
RE important dates listed in Adobe, some discussion of Olivier writing to the
GNSO asking if they could be more flexible on dates.  Any action on that?
Olivier yes emailed Stephen van Gelder cc Rafik, Rafik will have to make the
formal request whether we could replace or delay the GNSO meeting and have some
sort of webinar to counsel GNSO members.  It would shorten the amount of time
it would take for them to read it.  Will follow up after this call.
GNSO if it was delivered to September meeting they wouldn't vote on it until
October anyway.
Means we're going to have to rush to have it by end of august and then have to
sit for a month and wait for a reaction.
Would you like me to inquire again so as not to rush JAS into something that
will sit on a shelf.
Yes, a conversation as email hasn't proven to be effective.
Look at the fee reductions portion of the report as it is now, full consensus
for waiving the program development cost, full consensus that we are demanding
review of the base costs, and on lower registrar fees.
Fee should be reduced to 40k without giving background info.  Would it be
considerable for us to put in some kind of wording, we support the
recommendation and want to effect as in the GAC ALAC statement, rather than
review the cost basin and give specific amounts.  Say we agree to reduce fees
and without giving dollar amount.
Rather than say how much say we want to reduce it.
The fee shall be or the fee shall be no higher than.... Do we demand we only
charge them x if they say they can afford more.  Likely to be a finite amount.
Don't agree with that if there's an ability to reduce the fee...
All I'm saying at the last meeting there was a feeling of no less or no higher
than...
One I think there's a distinction between last week and this GAX ALAC reduced
fee to 47, in terms of requirement for aid we're only saying it's not necessary
to say they can only pay this much, they can pay more if they can.  Not sure if
there's complete coincidence between the people this program serves and the
people designated by GAC.  Specific country designations versus slightly wider
group of developing economies, indigenous people.   To what Evan said...was the
inclusion of some form of the contribution ...why they can afford to do it.
Just because someone can afford more doesn't mean they should be charged more.
VeriSign can afford much more.
Need to explain to the board how they can reduce the fee without ...to the GNSO
Directive.
The issue isn't that the recommendation is ...what we're going to do is explain
here how it can be achieved.  Has to do with what makes them eligible as
opposed to what they're getting.  What is the supposed support and not what
meets the criteria.
How through waiving costs and reducing costs we're able to achieve the results
in the GAC recommendation.  More detail as to the kind of cost reductions that
can be done.
Support what Evan initially said, acknowledge the GAC ALAC recommendation, but
attempting to provide suggestions on how to achieve the number.  May have a
problem with what we understand the numbers to be. How to achieve the end as
47, don't know enough about ICANN's internal budget in order to instruct the
board and the staff on how to achieve the fee reductions.  Spending time on
something that we can't actually do very well.  Avri please explain.
One of these cases where we'll be told we'll get more action from staff. No
point in making an argument with staff and have them say no it can't be done
that way.  If we end up differing completely we need to say that in the report.
 Far more ahead otherwise if we can get their active involvement.
Think the staff has put out budget figures, true not a total breakdown but the
staff has put out a lot of figures. Unless someone is going to disagree with
the proposal I made, still make short term cash flow requirements and long
term.  There is a proposal on the table...looking at the times when certain
amount of money looking. Assuming the income that comes in from the
applications and the proportionality of applications that we would predict,
would love the staff to look at it but to say that we have no idea.  There is a
proposal on the table and I don't think we should drop it.
Sorry, missing something, but recalling all said about cost reduction I want to
ask what we expect to do on this one.  I don't think we can make any further
progress, someone explain.
We have a proposal that Avri drew up, useful if staff tells us now if they
agree, reject categorically or help us, don't want staff giving secret advice
to the board.
Proposal from Avri but ...the working group members so.
If I can add it's been there for a long time.  I did get some request for
clarification.  I totally ....staff support.  Agree I'd like feedback from
board and staff on the practicality of it, not saying we need to do that before
we put it in the report.  Appendix perhaps not mainstream of the document.  I
personally think it will fly, only reason would be is for board or staff to say
we don't want to do it that way. I haven't heard any reason why the funds I
suggest becomes problematic.  Love feedback love to see it in our document
footnoted as an addendum.
I think it can be in there, not just as an appendix or footnote, just need to
show the level of ...of the working group.  Just to highlight the level of
consensus among us, makes more sense.
I think we should put it in the main body of the report try to elicit the level
of support for it. We can push to ask Kurt specifically, whether we can ask to
have an answer from his side.  Also suggest we solicit opinions on Avri's
suggestion.
I think we have agreement on that hearing no objections. I think we can move to
a discussion about the proposed support.
Frankly tired of trying to read staff or board minds.
It's to our benefit to try and demonstrate how the fee reduction can be
maintained as well as the GNSO recommendation about cost, especially since
everyone knows what we have nice to wish for more info but we need to move on.
I oppose wording based on speculation of what reaction might be
Concept of staggered fee even if we don't feel the ....fee is accepted.  Long
discussions about timing with respect to staggered fee, if we just tie down
that there is full consensus on staggered fee.
Staggered fee..more how it would be proceeded.
Are they nearly as relevant if they are lowered to 47,000.  That algorithm
doesn't make sense unless we say prorate, not nearly as big a need as when the
number was 185,000.
Doesn't seem relevant as long as we have a reduction in fees, no longer a
relevant issue.
Maybe say should fees not be reduced then staggering is mandatory.
I would prefer not to say that but that's just me.
We can keep that thought but clarify that it's conditional if there's no fee
reduction.
We're here to indicate what the community wants, not outline a bargaining
position.
Conditional to the fact that we have fee reduction if I understood correctly
what Alan was saying, Evan do you have any rejection.
Clarifying question are we referring here to the proceeds from the auction in
which the applicant which is supported and won, paid the auction the winning
bid to whomever presumably ICANN, or are we speaking about proceeds to the
auction generally and not specifically JAS qualified applicants.
I don't believe we ever talked about the notion - Not sure we covered the
notion of how a JAS qualified applicant participates in an auction.  My
suggestion this is something referred to where we speak about things that are
yet to be form, a board committee on how auction fees should be used.  In
support of our community, especially the JAS qualified applicant. This
committee should, could, might look at.
In line with that, question, when we first when throughout this I got feeling
from board members that original ...fundraising through auction subsidize fees
that would not be lower, eligible applicants would have access to funds.  Now
we're saying fee reduction could we change it to say ICANN could maintain
auction proceeds in order to recover revenue loss from fee reductions.
Last week we said any money to do with fund were separate from revenue
reduction but 2 as part of recommendation made on how ICANN can afford to
reduce these fees is included using first portion of auction money to fill
reserve fund that is borrowed against by having these applicants not pay it.
Not sure I followed the last part of what you said.  Whether we have hoping to
get fee reduction ....need to recover additional resources including
administrative costs.  Logical source of funding over the long term would be
these auction proceeds. Or whether it's easy enough to cover the cost of the
program. Shouldn't be walking away from that as a way to cover other costs of
this program.
Auction money goes to fund administrators they decide the best use of them.
Maybe someday registrar support program, whether it's helping people run IPv6,
there are a thousand ways to help, that's what a fund administration does,
decides what's a good choice or not.
I was simply suggesting in the answer to the cost-recovery question is that
ICANN be entitled to retain auction funds to offset net losses encountered due
to reduced-fee TLDs
There is an unanswered, even unasked policy question about qualified applicants
as participants in auctions. if support begins and ends in the application fee
reduction, then any application which is not a community based application (or
brought by a party with a right to the name, such as a government other than
central) is at a disadvantage to all non-qualified applicants in the same
contentions et
Arrives at the moment - haven't dealt with the structure, any applicants that
are disadvantage are still disadvantaged with the auction process.
I read this to mean it's a little more than legal support and I didn't think it
was fully answered then.  You're in the list you're in the line you win, you
get some support, but there might be other things involved, marketing those
things, I don't know.
One possible choice is to change the allocation mechanism.  One is JAS
qualified the other is not, if it goes to auction and there's no support we can
assume any contention with a JAS qualified applicant will go to the non
qualified applicant and all investment will be lost by JAS qualified applicant
with exception of some refund mechanism. Alternative to change...lottery or
coin toss, then there is no certainty that the JAS qualified applicant would
get it.  Address the certainty of loss.
If there is contention...if you have some kind of
There's no certainty JAS qualified applicant will lose, to use the shoe
example, likely to have two or more applications. All strings will go to non
JAS qualified applicant unless we solve this problem.
What makes a string valuable if it's business oriented mostly exclude any kind
of support for applicant of that string also highlight public interest, can we
make exception or.
Issue Eric brings up is relevant not sure how we address it I thought we said
definitively that we're only looking at applicants to be eligible if they are
looking at non contentious tlds.  Problem is that we're looking at support
prior to application then there's no way to guarantee there is no contention.
Impossible to predict, I don't know how to answer but we need to address.
Defer to others more familiar with the Guidebook, community application
automatically gets preference.  As far as I'm concerned happy to allow that to
kick into place, most are trying to serve an underserved community language
culture, not a conventional tld without the money to do it.  Confident most JAS
qualified applicants will be based on attempts to serve communities, then if
there's contention between community and non community application, if you have
2 different community applications and one is JAS qualified, that may be a
different question.  Think we can use what's already in the Guidebook dealing
with it.
I think we do have to analyze and see what aspect of each step and provide some
level of support even if it's minor and if contention exists.
If we have the 14 out of 16 part of our definition for qualified support then
this question wouldn't arise, but we didn't, we made no reference or dependency
on the 14 out of 16.  Overlooking that it's quite difficult, we did allow that
there'd be other community based applicants, repeated reference throughout the
WG outside the model of the community based application.  That's one problem,
our requirement doesn't match with auctions or applicants that arrive at a
contention status. What we need to know we can't know until it's too late.
Also the evaluation of the community based application, we can't know in
advance what would be useful to know what to do, so we have a class of
applications that are qualified for support and will find themselves in a
contention state, they will lose, what do we do?
Are we willing to live with that as an outcome if not then we need to address
it?  Otherwise can we live with the outcome.
I see no reason why we can't raise it as a hanging question.  It's important
and deserves to be highlighted as an important question, not one that we've
been mandated but as one we've recognized as an issue to be debated in the
wider ICANN community.  Don't think we'll come up with something clever by the
deadline.  But something that has come up within the JAS WG. Not specific to
what's in the current AG. Something we need to be aware of. Tried to keep
applicant support very much to the entry to processing of an application, these
questions take us past points of processing the application.
ICANN selected auction because it is a "fair" allocation mechanism for
unsupported applicants. The issue is what is the "fair" allocation mechanism
for unsupported AND supported applicants?
So we need a "there be dragons there" statement.
Could someone please explain the "there be dragons" comment?
Ancient mariners would create maps that say this area is unexplored because
'there be dragons there'. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_be_dragons
So no commercially attractive string can, under our proposed implementation of
recommendation 20, be allocated to non-first-world commercial/speculative
applicants. That is unfortunate.
Unless anyone disagrees:  We recognize there is risk, don't attempt a solution,
just a clear mention of the issue.
Maybe someone will have a marvelous idea with how to address it, agree we
should note it.  I don't think we have any choice but to note it and go on.
That is exactly what we need to state in the "here be dragons" statement. We
may be making some light to relieve the tedium of the call but the issue is
indeed serious. In absence of a creative solution in the timeframe we must
simply flag it and indicate a willingness to address it.
Earlier on in the call Carlton ran down a list on the pages 17-19 of final
draft report and made a set of we believe this is consensus.  Can I ask that
that exact set of consensus goes to the list between now and the next call so
that those not on the call can weigh in.  If we get some I'm not sure then we
need to move from full consensus to one of the other categories.
The bc went out of its way to ensure that their applications (not meeting the
jas recommended qualifications) will not compete with jas qualified
applications, and their mechanism for non-compete is ensuring non-funding for
jas qualified applicants. so they take this as a serious risk to their
applications.
Surveymonkey, more comments can be more available which led to have some
critics last time.
GNSO rules that you can't do full consensus on a call, then we can't deem it to
be consensus.
How did the BC ensure non-funding for applicants? We have some BC members here
(ie, Andrew) who are quite supportive. And -- as we discussed in this call --
not all qualified applicants are merely community applications.