ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Re: soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx

  • To: Krista Papac <Krista.Papac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Re: soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • From: Evan Leibovitch <evan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 14:42:59 -0400

There has long been a request for a backing-out method through which an
applicant, very early in the process, could determine whether there was
either

   - Competition for their string (for an applicant that knows it's
   insufficiently funded to survive an auction)
   - A high likelihood of an objection from governments or other public
   interests

and if so, be given the option to back out gracefully while incurring a
minimum of expense. This was also requested as part of the GAC's desire for
a "quick look" period, in which applicants for potentially objectionable
strings could be informed of that early in the process and be given an
opportunity to withdraw with minimum financial damage done.

This is still a good idea, and has merit in this context as well. It
preserves both fairness and reliability. Indeed, it would reduce costs
significantly for applicants who might otherwise go deeper into a process
which would ultimately be futile (as well as for other applicants who would
otherwise have to bid against them).

It's not a perfect solution to the dilemma Eric points out, but it could at
least mitigate some of the worst damage.

- Evan