ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx

  • To: Evan Leibovitch <evan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 19:09:39 +0000

On 11 Aug 2011, at 19:42, Evan Leibovitch wrote:

> There has long been a request for a backing-out method through which an
> applicant, very early in the process, could determine whether there was either
>       • Competition for their string (for an applicant that knows it's
> insufficiently funded to survive an auction)
>       • A high likelihood of an objection from governments or other public
> interests
> and if so, be given the option to back out gracefully while incurring a
> minimum of expense. This was also requested as part of the GAC's desire for a
> "quick look" period, in which applicants for potentially objectionable
> strings could be informed of that early in the process and be given an
> opportunity to withdraw with minimum financial damage done.
>
> This is still a good idea, and has merit in this context as well. It
> preserves both fairness and reliability. Indeed, it would reduce costs
> significantly for applicants who might otherwise go deeper into a process
> which would ultimately be futile (as well as for other applicants who would
> otherwise have to bid against them).
>
> It's not a perfect solution to the dilemma Eric points out, but it could at
> least mitigate some of the worst damage.
>
> - Evan

Evan

I'd agree. Regardless of funding or any other supports if an entity has a
budget of X and realises that the string they desire has strong competition and
that the costs involved in getting it are going to exceed their budget, then
some mechanism for "backing out" makes a lot of sense.

And this should apply regardless of whether the application is eligible under
whatever criteria this group may decide on

Regards

Michele

Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions