ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Review of draft report

  • To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>, JAS <soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Review of draft report
  • From: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 14:21:53 -0400

Due to the complexity of commenting, I will use e-mail for this one issue where there is very substantive disagreement with what Avri and I have said, specifically how to fund the fee reduction.

The main point I was making is that the fee reduction be funded from auction proceeds, but that failing the materialization of that, the reduction can still be funded without impacting the operational cost-recovery of the new gTLD program by deferring the return to reserve of the pre-program development costs. I feel that this last part is important, because the Board is likely to be risk-adverse and may not want to spend money on the assumption (but not guarantee) that there would be auction proceeds.

I believe that my presentation is a bit simpler, and is likely to result in less confusion over exactly what is being proposed.

All of that being said, I can live with Avri's proposal, but think that it is likely to be rejected due to confusion, which is not a good thing.

Alan

Regarding Avri's definition of short-term, I don't really think short term cash flow is a problem, since ICANN will be receiving the full fee in advance for all non-supported application. They will be very cash-rich.

Alan