ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Government eligibility for JAS support

  • To: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Government eligibility for JAS support
  • From: Alain Berranger <alain.berranger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 12:43:53 -0500

The problem is "fungability" of public funding... It is an age old problem
in international aid programs to eradicate poverty... if a rich donor funds
public education in a poor country, that government can shift its education
budget to say defense...

I may have a minority view, but I do not see much economic rationale to
ICANN giving assistance to public gTLD applicants on the basis of
fungability...However, there may be a political rationale... we can buy
multi-stakeholder peace and let a public agency make the case that they are
needy... ? There are so many governments that stop funding public agencies
that were once high priorities... public agencies that have ran their
useful life are notariously bad at closing down... we are likely to see
applications from such public bodies...

Alain

--
Alain Berranger, B.Eng, MBA