ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ssac-gnso-irdwg]

RE: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] Registration Touch Points

  • To: "'Jeremy Hitchcock'" <jeremy@xxxxxxx>, <ssac-gnso-irdwg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] Registration Touch Points
  • From: "Ram Mohan" <rmohan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 09:52:44 -0500

Adding to the Registration touch points list:

Computer touch points:
- registry-registrar EPP communication
- registrar escrow process
- registry escrow process
- automated robot/data mining process (using zone file data to mine whois)

Human touch points:
- port 43 whois query
- web/http based whois request (isn't this just a subset of port 43 query?)

Input methods vary, and often impede lookups of internationalized domain names,
and usually do not support IRD at all.  There is a large web tools update that
must happen once IDNs and IRDs become commonplace.  Display of the outputs are
also completely non-standard.

-Ram

Ram Mohan
Executive Vice President, Afilias Limited
m: +1.215.431.0958|rmohan@xxxxxxxxxxxx