ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ssac-gnso-irdwg]

Re: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] Draft matrix

  • To: Jay Daley <jay@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Steve Sheng <steve.sheng@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] Draft matrix
  • From: Dave Piscitello <dave.piscitello@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 05:01:56 -0700

On 3/31/10 6:40 PM  Mar 31, 2010, "Jay Daley" <jay@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It is interesting to note there are no models that push the problem to
> registries.  Is this a deliberate omission?  I would be happy if it is but I
> think the reasoning needs to be recorded.

We did have a discussion last call that touched on this. For the sake of
completeness we could add it if other agree.

My 100,00 foot and "nerd" view of what this means is that the registries
(and ICANN) set requirements for domain record composition (e.g., an
evolution of the plain language definition that appears in the RAA today)
and rejects registrar requests to add/change/delete labels in its TLD that
do not meet the requirements. The requirements could be as nominal as checks
for character set compliance (e.g., ASCII7 or UTF8), or the registry could
check fields for valid strings, completeness (all fields must be populated
and valid strings), or ...

Is this what  you had in mind?