ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ssac-gnso-irdwg]

RE: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] Draft matrix

  • To: "Steve Sheng" <steve.sheng@xxxxxxxxx>, "Ird" <ssac-gnso-irdwg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] Draft matrix
  • From: "Metalitz, Steven" <met@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 08:44:07 -0700

I am sorry that I had to miss the last call.  I have two questions about
the matrix.

(1)  As I have mentioned before, references to "English" are
inappropriate if what we really mean is US ASCII-7.  Even now, in the
pre-IDN world, a very high proportion of registrants (perhaps a
majority?) do not "speak English" and yet supply Whois data in ASCII.
For the same reason, the references to "translation" should probably be
changed to "transliteration."

(2)  I am afraid I do not understand Model 2.  To whom is the registrar
in this model providing the "point of contact for translation" -- to
registrants (so that their data can be transliterated into ASCII?)? or
to Whois users?

Thanks in advance for clarification on these points.

One other observation. a comment on Model 3 states, "When there is a
mistranslation  that result in inaccuracies in Whois, who is liable?"
This assumes that registrars now (or will in the future) face some
liability for inaccurate Whois information.  In practical terms, this
assumption is not warranted today, though perhaps it will become true in
the future.

Steve Metalitz