ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ssac-gnso-irdwg]

[ssac-gnso-irdwg] IANA's new WHOIS server can support IDN

  • To: Ird <ssac-gnso-irdwg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] IANA's new WHOIS server can support IDN
  • From: Steve Sheng <steve.sheng@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 10:16:45 -0700

See: http://blog.icann.org/2010/05/test-iana-whois/

 *   New format. The first thing that one would notice comparing the output is
that we have adopted a new RPSL-style output format. It is a more predictable
format that is commonly used by other WHOIS services, and also is easier to
parse with a predictable "key: value" format.
 *   IDN support. We've improved the IDN support in this WHOIS server, so that
we accept both the ASCII-based wire-format (i.e. prefixed with xn--) and the
Unicode presentation format (encoded in UTF-8) as arguments to the WHOIS
server. For IDNs, we return both formats in the result, with the U-label under
the domain: key, and the A-label under the domain-ace: key.
 *   IP addresses. One of the great new features is IP address support. We
maintain the global address space for both IPv4 and IPv6 and maintains the
authoritative top-level delegation of address blocks. You can now query for any
IP address and either get the top-level allocation (e.g. to a Regional Internet
Registry), or its reserved status. This works for AS numbers too.
 *   Referrals. When a domain name or an IP address block is delegated to a
more specific registry (i.e. either a top-level domain registry, or an RIR),
and we have information on a WHOIS server that has more specific information,
we'll first return a refer: key and the WHOIS server with the more specific
information. This effectively allows you to query IANA's WHOIS service for any
domain, IP address or AS number to determine the best place to look.

Warmly,
Steve