ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ssac-gnso-irdwg]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] IRD-WG/Related Meetings in Cartagena and Next Meeting

• To: Steve Sheng <steve.sheng@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] IRD-WG/Related Meetings in Cartagena and Next Meeting
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 14:03:40 -0500

RFC 5646 defines a syntax language tag, including an IANA registry for values. It does not speak to the issue of how one includes a language tag in the Whois, or any service or application that uses it. My question is unrelated to this information.

Recovering context from my earlier message:

• Have the WG considered adding a language tag to the contact data?

>> This, in fact, is exactly one of the problems. Whois protocol has no language tag
>> capabilities. This is why it needs to be replaced.

Adding a language tag to the Whois output is not a sufficient technical solution. The Whois protocol output is freeform so the first question is how a client finds this information so it can use it. Then there's the question of what it applies to (data, labels, etc.). And I can think of almost 12 more technical questions that come up from the apparently straightforward suggestion to just add a language tag.

This really is a protocol issue and one of the basic reasons that Whois needs to be replaced.

Jim

On Dec 5, 2010, at 3:25 PM, Steve Sheng wrote:

Hi Rafik, I was informed that there is actually an RFC for it.

ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc5646.txt

Warm regards,
Steve

On 12/5/10 12:19 PM, "Rafik Dammak" <rafik.dammak@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Steve,

[Steve Sheng] I think the proposal is to have a language tag as a data element, not at the protocol level, so I would envision something a data entry like: language/script: Arabic.

language or script, for example some languages are using Arab script, I guess that we may need script tag too?

Rafik

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy