ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ssac-gnso-irdwg]

Re: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] Draft: Questions for ICANN IDN staff - Tina Dam - from the WhoIs IRD WG

  • To: "Robert C. Hutchinson" <rchutch@xxxxxxxxx>, Ird <ssac-gnso-irdwg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] Draft: Questions for ICANN IDN staff - Tina Dam - from the WhoIs IRD WG
  • From: Steve Sheng <steve.sheng@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 11:45:13 -0800

Hi Robert, I have checked your question with Kim Davies, manager of root zone
services. Here is what he said:

 *   IANA uses RFC 5646 (Tags for Identifying Languages) for tagging of IDNs in
the fast track process (see the Root DB for IDN tags
http://www.iana.org/domains/root/db/). RFC 5646 is a superset of ISO 639-2
(tagging languages), and ISO 15924 (tagging scripts).
 *   RFC 5646 is also used by other protocols to indicate languages (e.g. HTTP).
 *   The database for RFC 5646 is can be found here:
http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry, and rfc 5646 explains
how to process tags using the database.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Warm regards,
Steve