ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ssac-gnso-irdwg]

RE: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] IRD solution recommended by ICANN staff?

  • To: Dave Piscitello <dave.piscitello@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] IRD solution recommended by ICANN staff?
  • From: "Metalitz, Steven" <met@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 15:52:37 -0800

Thanks for this helpful response, Dave.  I agree this work is very
important and I have no reason at all to question your opinion that it
has enormous merit. I am just having a hard time squaring your
description with the CEO's statement that " ICANN staff members have
developed and recommended a solution" and that this solution "is being
considered for adoption as a standard" by the IETF.  I hope you can help
me gain a better understanding of the apparent discrepancy.

I looked briefly at the IETF mailing list for which you provided a link.
My sense is that this IETF group is discussing a charter for a working
group that would try to develop something I would describe as a
"solution."  The draft charter I reviewed proposed the following
milestones (and again it seems that the charter has not yet been
approved, and I don't know the procedure for that):

[start + 2 months] Draft WEIRDS requirements to IESG for
    publication as Informational RFC.

    [start + 6 months] Draft WEIRDS base specification to IESG for
    publication on the standards track

This suggests to me that this process is many months away from producing
a solution that would be considered for adoption as an IETF standard.  I
am sure I may be mistaken, but if so I hope someone will correct me.

I also see on that mailing list some references to a document
draft-sheng-weirds-icann-rws-dnrd-00.txt which I take it might be the
"solution" that "ICANN staff members have recommended."  What is the
status of that document within the IETF process?

While I am sure I might have missed it, was that document circulated to
the IRDWG?  If not, would it be possible to do so?

Thanks for your patience as I try to find my way through these
questions.

Steve Metalitz