ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ssac-review-tor]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Mission Failure as a possible outcome

• To: ssac-review-tor@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Mission Failure as a possible outcome
  • Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 22:54:39 -0400

Hi Denise,

I'm unable to identify the "Security and Stability" issue in "Fast Flux". I'm on that GNSO WG.

I was previously unable to identify the "Security and Stability" issue in "domain tasting". I didn't sleep through that one either.

I was also previously unable to identify the "Security and Stability" issue in "front running". Nor that one.

I'm perplexed as to the mission of the SSAC as currently staffed, and as currently tasked.

A review that omits comment on the SSAC's detour into retail enforcement, at the expense of cache hack (caught by someone else, and fixed without even nominal mention of ICANN), or the AS prefix hack (ditto, and not fixed due to the absence of trust anchors, a subject left tbd in Layer 9 for years now), and whatever's coming next, say a hack on the time infrastructure, or the cert infrastructure, or ... stuff a little bit more important than "fast flux" + "domain tasting" + front running" + more of the same, would just tread water.

The rationale for the (current) SSAC implies that it isn't gamed or captured by some stakeholder, or worse, a non-stakeholder. This is an assumption that is capable of test.

The structure and composition of the (current) SSAC implies that security and stability are capable of objective evaluation, and if that assumption is incorrect, the current structure and composition do not provide for security and stability to be subjective, and the product of compromise by self-interested stakeholders, each with a distinct, and equally correct view of security and stability.

The record of the SSAC over the past year is unfortunate, and the "Draft Terms of Reference for the Review" should include the possibility of concluding that the SSAC as an experiment should be concluded and alternatives considered.

Cheers,
Eric

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy