ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[stld-rfp-asia]

APTLD supports .asia bid

  • To: stld-rfp-asia@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: APTLD supports .asia bid
  • From: Peter Dengate Thrush <barrister@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 17:05:48 +1200

To Whom it may concern.

The Asia Pacific Top Level Domain Association ( APTLD) is the association representing the cctld managers of the the Asia Pacific region. We have been active since 1999, and now have 21 members. APTLD incorporated in Malaysia in 2003.
Our history, composition and activities are documented at www.aptld.org

APTLD supports the bid to introduce .asia as a new generic top level domain.

We welcome the development of a domain name space with global recognition as the name of our region, dedicated to meeting the needs of users in our internet community. We welcome in particular the focus this domain will have on the use of internationalised domain names.

APTLD notes with approval the proposed administrative structure which will support the new domain, and observes that it will draw on the support of well know individuals and organisations of the Asia Pacific internet community widely acknowledged as pioneers and or current leaders in their fields. The available internet expertise to support the proposed new TLD is extraordinary and unprecedented, given the large number of registry managers supporting the proposal, from registries having very diverse properties and attributes, and given the other internet expertise of the supporters of this proposal.

APTLD believes that .asia is not confusing with any other gtld, and thats its use will not give rise to any diplomatic, commercial or legal issues.There no competing bid for this, nor any similar domain. No harm is done to any stability, safety or interoperability concerns by the entry of this new tld.

Yours,

Peter Dengate Thrush
Chair
APTLD