ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[stld-rfp-mail]

More reasons NOT to approve dot .mail

  • To: <stld-rfp-mail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: More reasons NOT to approve dot .mail
  • From: "Greg Krajewski" <gkrajews@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 13:06:14 -0600
  • Disposition-notification-to: "Greg Krajewski" <gkrajews@rushmore.com>

Here are my reasons listed numerically:

1.  Is dot .mail really a sTLD (Sponsored TLD)?  I don't think so and therefore should not even be considered on this premise alone. Since almost anyone with $2K and who has had a stable URL address for at least 6 months can apply for the domain.  I don't see this "group" as a precisely defined community described below.    No, when I think of a Sponsored TLD, I think of dot travel, dot union, etc. I Here is ICANN's definition

A. Definition of Sponsored TLD Community

The proposed sTLD must address the needs and interests of a clearly defined community (the Sponsored TLD Community), which can benefit from the establishment of a TLD operating in a policy formulation environment in which the community would participate.

Applicants must demonstrate that the Sponsored TLD Community is:

  • Precisely defined, so it can readily be determined which persons or entities make up that community; and
  • Comprised of persons that have needs and interests in common but which are differentiated from those of the general global Internet community.
2.  The cost of the domain:  $2K.  Although I've read on other venues the prices for a dot email domain would drop in time for the "average joe".  As a student of logic I don't see this happening (in my humble opinion).  The reason for the high cost in the first place is to make it prohibitive for spammers to buy unlimited dot Mail URL addresses.  Wouldn't dropping the price then make it "easier" for spammers to buy many more addresses. Duh!!.  Therefore, I don't see the price dropping from $2K, which would hurt small business.

3.  If ICANN does approve dot mail, the news outlet's would bill this as "the cure" to prevent spam.  If I am correct dot mail would only "slow" the rate of spam, which is a good thing, just not the right solution.  The problem I have is that when the first time someone gets a "V I A G R A" email from a dot .mail address (which would almost certainly occur) would cause "trust" issues.   Here is another scenario: What happens the first time a "spammer" does get through a spam letter that fools someone into giving them money...especially if they opening the email "knowing" dot mail is good based on the $2K price/vetting process.  How will ICANN cover themselves?  Afterall they would be giving their "seal" on the name if approved.  Same thing with the registrar?   Will the cost of insurance be prohibitive... Or is there not a problem??  It's possible the registrar could make the "spammers" responsible, but it would probably be difficult finding "spammer x" to sue them for damages.

My point:  The danger is if we did reach critical mass with dot mail and "spammers" find a way to get through the "vetting" process enmasse, how would you recover??  If you use a software solution which I recommend to curb spam, you'd simply key on certain addresses, etc to stop the spam.  With dot mail, your stuck with it.  URL addresses are difficult to change, especially if ISP's tweak their email servers in large groups.   Again, this is why I think this idea is wrong.

I do think the people submitting this application deserve their chance to be heard, don't get me wrong, but certainly all the issues I've brought up so far should be some cause for concern.

Thank you for listening,

Gregory W. Krajewski
Anywhere.biz