ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[stld-rfp-mail]

.mail TLD

  • To: stld-rfp-mail@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: .mail TLD
  • From: Andrew D Kirch <trelane@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 23:53:01 -0500

I see no positive benefit from this.  The exorbitant costs to register a
.mail domain is prohibitive to it's successful use.  Further it is
incredibly exclusionary on countries and entities which are not able to
afford such costs.
.mail serves to do nothing besides establish a further caste system on a
peer to peer network.  I find this concept frightening and most
unfortunate.
I myself run a major Internet blacklist, and have one of the most
anti-spam policies on the Internet.  Our monthly cash flow measures
roughly $400. I will not pay $2000 solely to send e-mail.  The concept
of a $2000 domain is totally unconscionable.
Creating such a separate caste on the Internet where "privileged" clean
e-mail can travel is hugely damaging.  I humbly request that ICANN NOT
create a .mail TLD under the current terms with consideration towards
small companies, not-for-profits, third and second world countries
establishing Internet connectivity.  The price is too high, the solution
is already in place, "caller ID" and "TXT records" are there for all
domains, paying $2000 to require them is pointless, and I'd consider
going so far as calling a vote to blacklist .mail in the AHBL in protest
of this action.
--
Andrew D Kirch  |       Abusive Hosts Blocking List      | www.ahbl.org
Security Admin  |  Summit Open Source Development Group  | www.sosdg.org