ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[stld-rfp-tel-telnic]

Answering Mr. Boston

  • To: <stld-rfp-tel-telnic@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Answering Mr. Boston
  • From: "Olivier Decrock" <odecrock@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 23:21:01 +0200

Thank you for your questions. These are subtle points, so are addressed in turn.

1) Restricted use for Telname sTLD?

Yes - Telnic believes that there is a business case for a Telname (name-based) mechanism to store contacts in DNS. We believe that in this case the behaviour of the Telname system will be different from that of a 'normal' gTLD.

The performance requirements for resolving personal contacts can be different from 'finding' a machine IP address, and an individual may not have a machine 'visible' on the Internet and still have personal contacts to store in their Telname.

In many ways, resolving personal contacts in Telnames is similar to the ENUM scheme. Both allow contacts to be stored and queried using 'standard' DNS messages, and both are restricted in some way.

However, there are several differences:

(i) We believe that there should be a separation between storage of personal contacts and machine addresses - one holds information on me, the other holds information on my machine(s).

(ii) Performance issues are different from a 'normal' gTLD and similar to ENUM; personal lookups are likely to follow Telephone network patterns, but machine address resolution is going to follow normal Internet patterns. Current ENUM schemes do not have this restriction - we believe that mixing the two is a mistake.

(iii) Phone numbers are useful NOW as an identifier, but we expect that there will be a move towards using personal names as identifiers - most times, people want to talk to a person, not whoever happens to be addressed by a particular phone number. For a company, this isn't a real issue, but for an individual, in most places you only are allowed to register a domain in ENUM while you have a telephone service from a service provider - that is a problem if you move and cannot take your phone number with you.

2) No address records allowed?

We would expect that 'standard' Address records used to map to IP addresses would be stored elsewhere from their contacts - these are  fundamentally different uses. As stated, we believe that the traffic patterns used for DNS queries on .tel will be different in the short to medium term from those used to lookup the IP address for a machine.

In the short term, most people will be called by telephone numbers. We expect queries on a registrant's Telname for NAPTR, and for most, this would result in a phone call being placed (e.g. over the existing wireline or cellular service). A Telname lookup is a 'hybrid', with a short Internet query, followed by a normal voice call.

Queries for A records will be done, as needed, in other TLDs  - we expect cacheing to behave differently for these lookups, particularly with 'vanity' domains for a personal web server or for a mail server address. Similarly, as they are introduced, SIP 'addresses of record' would be in a NAPTR stored in a Telname, but the 'contact address' for the SIP phone would not, nor would the IP address of that SIP phone. There are good reasons for suggesting that such 'dynamic' information should not be published in DNS at all; it is certainly excluded from the Telname model.

3)  SRV/MX records allowed?

From the above, we expect that MX and SRV records may be placed in Telnames, as long as the target for these records is in another TLD.

4) Policing .tel domains?

We do not intend to scan all domains under .tel, but will react to a complaint from an individual that a .tel domain is used incorrectly. As just mentioned, we do this for performance concerns as well as general principle. In the case of Telnames, the check can be done by anyone automatically, and will be simple (and so will be quick and with low cost); it just involves a check on the kind of resource records returned in a normal DNS query. Note that we do not restrict the kind of content that can be provided by a server that is referenced in a Telname - any such restriction is related to the TLD in which the A records are stored.

We hope we have answered your questions.

Telnic Management