ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[stld-rfp-xxx]

Already registered .xxx domains

  • To: stld-rfp-xxx@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Already registered .xxx domains
  • From: FD <f_devin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 17:20:21 -0300

What happens with the already registered .xxx domains? As far as I can see, people with browsers enabled for xxx domains won't see any other domain than the already registered with new.net, hence Iffor would need to recognize the domains already registered .xxx domains prior to start its activities as registrar. On the other side, such a compulsive move like New.net's done should be an alarm light. They (or anyone else) could do the same with other tld (in fact new.net is doing it already) bypassing the need for Icann or at least making a huge profit by registering domains before they're approved. Not that I care who makes the profit, because I know this Iffor people is into this for the same reason (unless they plan to register for free or a nominal price, which I guess it won't happen), I'm just interested about the protection to customers, and would like an appropriate response from Icann, an organization which since its creation has been (to say the least) highly discussable.

Regards

Tip for new.net domain owners: register your new.net tld domains as TM or Intelectual property to avoid troubles later