ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[tel-one-and-two-char-domains]

I support .TEL being allowed to offer 1 and 2 character names

  • To: tel-one-and-two-char-domains@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: I support .TEL being allowed to offer 1 and 2 character names
  • From: Jothan Frakes <jothan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 16:04:48 -0800

To whom it may concern:

I am in support of allowing TELNIC the ability to offer 1 and 2
character domains.

I am on record in support of removing legacy
1 & 2 character restrictions on TLDs:

These domains can add benefit to the community through
their use and responsible allocation, as presented.

Here are three reasons to allow 1 and 2 character domains to be released:

1]  Many other gTLDs have had these restrictions lifted and have since
began allocation of the names, including .BIZ,  .CAT, .COOP, .INFO,
.MOBI,. NAME, and .PRO.  There is noreason that .TEL should not
be treated equally, given the method with which they intend to
responsibly allocate these names.

2] Restriction of single character domains in gTLDs in general is a
concept worth evolving from.
The act of restricting single characters is a dated concept that was
put in place as a placeholder, so that these would be available to
horizontally expand the namespace at one point and do registrations at
the third level in the gTLDS.

-Jothan

Jothan Frakes
http://blog.jothan.com/