ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[transfer-policy-2008]

Domain Registrars and ICANN

  • To: <transfer-policy-2008@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Domain Registrars and ICANN
  • From: "Russell, Robert K" <rkrussell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 12:31:12 -0400

What is the point in having this organization if a registrar can
deliberately ignore the rules without fear of legal action?

I have had 2 very bad experiences with hosting companies \ registrars
that are known to operating dishonestly in every way.

So try to file a complaint.  In this age of technology ICANN still
relies fully on the United States Postal Service in filing a complaint.

Two companies:  Brinkster (Hosting company) and Wild West Domains, LLC
(Registrar)

With regard to the domain it-creatives.us.

In January 2006 I requested that this domain be transferred to another
hosting company.

Upon submitting this request I was told that I had to wait 90 days to
transfer the domain due to recent changes in the Administrative
information for the domain.

Knowing that I had not made any changes to this information I
investigated further and found that an employee of the hosting company
had committed a change to this information causing the domain to be
locked.

When it did become available for transfer I requested the code to
initiate the transfer only to find out that the code was invalid.

Brinkster Hosting went above and beyond to block all efforts to transfer
the domain.

I contacted Wild West Domains, shown as the Registrar in Whois, and was
told repeatedly that they were not the registar for the domain and it
did not exist on their servers.  I was also told the Brinkster was the
registrar and I had to go to them for release of the domain.

Needless to say this went on for a year until the domain went into
expiration.  I was sent many notices stating that I would have to remit
$100 dollars to get the domain back.

I have attempted to contact every known resource for assistance in this
issue and in all cases I am told that the contact is not the correct
party to resolve this issue.

So I have to ask again, what is the point in your organization and the
laws governing domain names if no one is willing to enforce the laws?

 From my perspective all I see is a lot of text that would make for great
reading in the event that the Third Reich returns to power and burns all
the books in the world.

Apparently the purpose here is purely political theater and nothing
more.

Our greatest enemy is the one we never prepared for...

Robert Kevin Russell - IT Apps & Tools

Consultant - YOH IT - Charlotte, North Carolina

Office:  704-382-4605

Pager:  777-6105

Cell:     864-908-0869