ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments-2007]

WHOIS SYSTEM

  • To: <whois-comments-2007@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: WHOIS SYSTEM
  • From: "Stanley Johnson" <StanleyJ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 07:40:37 -0400

To Whom It May Concern:

I understand that on October 31 ICANN's policy advisory body (the
Generic Names Supporting Organization (GNSO) Council) will vote on three
motions that will determine the future structure of the domain name
Whois system and I urge the Council to vote on Motion 2.  Our company
uses the Whois system to determine the availability of names for
registration purposes and also to find contact information on names we
believe infringe our trademarks and may have been registered
dishonestly.  If there is no Whois system and no other tool for us to
use to find critically needed contact information we will be unable to
effectively protect our brand and, ultimately, our consumer.  Until the
Law of Unintended Consequences is repealed it would be imprudent to make
changes to policies and/or systems without understanding as thoroughly
as possible the ramifications of those changes and I urge the Council to
vote for Motion 2.

Regards,
Stan Johnson
Auntie Anne's, Inc.