ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments-2007]

Whois information should remain accessible to all

  • To: <whois-comments-2007@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Whois information should remain accessible to all
  • From: "EMERSON Neil" <NeilEmerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 12:55:10 +0100

I am a lawyer based London, England.

I have been informed that there are proposals to change the nature of
the Whois service and that this is to come before ICANN for voting in
the near future.

I find the Whois service is an essential tool and I believe that any
change that would make Whois information less comprehensive or more
restrictive should be resisted at all costs.  I understand the motions
before the meeting numbered 1 and 3 would severely reduce information
about registrants.

Motion 2, calling for a study on the uses of the system prior to making
any changes, seems to me to be a proportionate and reasonable proposal
and I would urge support of this motion to ensure that all users of the
Internet continue to have access to the information on the Whois system.

I often need to carry out Whois searches on behalf of my clients in
order to discover information about registrants of domain names, for a
various reasons.  Often, domain names are registered in trading or
"doing business as" names and no legal entity is recorded in the
registration information and details are often withheld on spurious
grounds.

As it is the internet offers dishonest businesses myriad opportunities
to shelter behind aliases etc and any protections are shockingly
rudimentary.  One of the few aids to tracking down the fraudulent is the
Whois system, and it seems to me that far from considering ways to
reduce it, thought should be given to making it more informative.

In this regard I urge you to support Motion 2.

Neil Emerson
Partner
For and on behalf of Bircham Dyson Bell LLP
50 Broadway London SW1H 0BL
t   +44 (0)20 7227 7011
www.bdb-law.co.uk <http://www.bdb-law.co.uk/>
Bircham Dyson Bell

WARNING â This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not
copy, forward or use any part of it or disclose its contents to any person. If
you have received it in error please notify our system manager immediately on
+44 (0)20 7153 8555 or +44 (0)20 7227 7000. This email and any automatic copies
should be deleted after you have contacted the system manager.
This email is sent from the offices of Bircham Dyson Bell LLP, a limited
liability partnership regulated by The Solicitors Regulation Authority and
registered in England and Wales with registered number OC320798. Its registered
office and principal place of business is 50 Broadway, London SW1H 0BL. A full
list of members, referred to as partners by the firm, is available for
inspection on request.
Bircham Dyson Bell LLP accepts no responsibility for software viruses and you
should check for viruses before opening any attachments. Internet
communications are not secure and therefore Bircham Dyson Bell LLP does not
provide any guarantee or warranty that this message or any attachments shall
remain confidential.
To ensure client service levels and business continuity Bircham Dyson Bell LLP
operates a policy whereby emails can be read by its employees or partners other
than the addressee. This policy complies with the Telecommunications (Lawful
Business Practice) (Interception of Communications) Regulations 2000.