ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments-2007]

GNSO Council

  • To: <whois-comments-2007@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: GNSO Council
  • From: "Rubin, E. Leonard" <ELRubin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 10:42:30 -0400

Dear Members:

I am advised that you are meeting to consider changes to the present
WHOIS system, including the possibility that you may mandate eliminating
this service.  I write to implore you to not eliminate this source of
information.  I understand that INTA is suggesting the appointment of a
commission to study the virtues and the vices of the system, and I urge
that you allow this appointment.  WHOIS has many times given me and
others in my firm the ability to avoid prolonged disputes, helped to
find people to contact because of potential disputes, and saved my
clients untold amounts of money by helping to cut short the
investigative and negotiating procedures.

In short, WHOIS is for me an extremely valuable resource, one that I not
only need and use, but one whose absence would cause me and my clients
considerable trouble if it was no longer available.  Please continue its
existence.

E. Leonard Rubin

E. Leonard Rubin
elrubin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
ReedSmith
Sachnoff & Weaver
312.207.6464
Reed Smith LLP
10 South Wacker Drive
Chicago, IL 60606-7507
312.207.1000
Fax 312.207.6400

* * *

This E-mail, along with any attachments, is considered confidential and may
well be legally privileged. If you have received it in error, you are on notice
of its status. Please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete
this message from your system. Please do not copy it or use it for any
purposes, or disclose its contents to any other person. Thank you for your
cooperation.
* * *
To ensure compliance with Treasury Department regulations, we inform you that,
unless otherwise indicated in writing, any U.S. Federal tax advice contained in
this communication  (including any attachments) is not intended or written to
be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (1) avoiding penalties under
the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state and local provisions or (2)
promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any tax-related matters
addressed herein.
Disclaimer Version RS.US.1.01.03
pdc1