ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments-2007]

Comments

  • To: <whois-comments-2007@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Comments
  • From: "Louis J. Levy" <llevy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 10:42:50 -0400

ICANN should take no action until it has a more complete understanding
of the abuses any elimination or limitation of the current WHOIS system
will create.  By limiting or eliminating WHOIS information, ICANN would
be abetting various forms of cybercrime.  I am an attorney representing
a variety of clients, the great majority of whom regularly encounter
registrations of domain names comprised of their marks by
cybersquatters.

Accordingly, I believe the GNSO Council should adopt Motion 2 and
conduct an objective and comprehensive study on the legitimate abuses
and uses of Whois data - before making policy changes that may
permanently alter the structure of the domain name and Whois system.
Motions 1 and 3 should be rejected.

Thanks you very much.

Louis J. Levy
Leventhal, Senter & Lerman PLLC
2000 K Street, N.W., Suite 600
Washington, D.C.  20006-1809
Phone:  (202) 429-8970
Direct Phone:  (202) 416-6748
Facsimile:      (202) 293-7783

NOTE: This e-mail and any attachments or prior e-mails may contain confidential
information that is legally privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure,
even if received in error. Do not read, retain or distribute this e-mail if you
are not a named recipient.