ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments-2007]

The WHOIS database and access

  • To: whois-comments-2007@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: The WHOIS database and access
  • From: Robert Barrigar <rhb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 08:36:44 -0700

As an intellectual-property lawyer, I have occasion to use WHOIS from
time to time.  Ready identification of domain-name ownership and related
particulars facilitates legal and commercial negotiations and
investigations of many different sorts and saves clients money that
would otherwise be spent in laboriously tracking down such particulars.
The WHOIS information available is "bare bones" and should not violate
anyone's right of privacy.  Indeed, it seems likely that anyone
objecting to sharing this bare-bones information might well be pursuing
illegal activities using a website to support such activities.

I oppose any change in the present WHOIS system or in the present
categories of information publicly available.  However, if a prospective
change is to be contemplated, it is important that it be given the
fullest possible study before its implementation.

Robert H. Barrigar
Barrigar Intellectual Property Law
www.barrigar.com
604-689-9255 (Vancouver)
250-389-0387 (Victoria)

Kindly respect the confidentiality of this message.  If directed to an
allied solicitor or to a client or to anyone who may be working on a
client file, this message is privileged.