ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments-2007]

WHOIS Comments

  • To: <whois-comments-2007@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: WHOIS Comments
  • From: "Appleby, Bethany L." <BAppleby@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 10:31:33 -0400

I am not an INTA member, but I litigate on behalf of franchise clients.
As I'm sure you know, there are many intellectual property and other
abuses on the internet, and individuals and companies should not have to
resort to "John Doe" lawsuits and subpoena powers just to figure out who
is responsible for those abuses.  Individuals and companies should not
be able to hide behind proxies in order to commit these abuses.  Given
the balance of interests and the ways in which data misuse can be
mitigated (perhaps only providing name and address and not phone or
email), WHOIS should stay, and proxies should go.

Thank you,

Bethany L. Appleby
Wiggin and Dana LLP
One Century Tower
P.O. Box 1832
New Haven, CT 06508-1832

Tel:  (203) 498-4365
Fax: (203) 782-2889

email: bappleby@xxxxxxxxxx
website: www.wiggin.com <http://www.wiggin.com/>

This transmittal is intended for a particular addressee(s). It may constitute a
confidential attorney-client communication. If it is not clear that you are the
transmittal in error; any review, copying or distribution or dissemination is
strictly prohibited. If you suspect that you have received this transmittal in
error, please notify Wiggin and Dana immediately at 203-498-4400, or by email,
reply to the sender and delete the transmittal and any attachments.
Neither this message nor the documents attached to this message are encrypted.