ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments-2007]

Whois System

  • To: "'whois-comments-2007@xxxxxxxxx'" <whois-comments-2007@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Whois System
  • From: "Reuter, Renee M" <Renee.M.Reuter@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 14:06:26 -0500

Dear GNSO Council,

I understand that you are planning to vote on three motions that will determine
the future structure of the domain name and Whois system, and I am taking this
opportunity to urge you to vote against Motion 1 (which will limit the amount
of publicly displayed domain name ownership information) and Motion 3 (which
would eliminate all contractual obligations requiring registrars to display
domain name ownership and contact details).  I also urge you to vote in support
of Motion 2(which proposes that ICANN conduct a study on the abuses and uses of
Whois data).

I am in house counsel for Enterprise Rent-A-Car Company and I am constantly
involved in fighting abuse of Enterprise's trademarks online.  I have found
that the readily available owner information in the Whois system to allow swift
and cost-effective protection of Enterprise's online brand.  I urge you not to
remove this valuable tool from trademark owners.

Again, please vote against Motions 1 and 3 and support Motion 2 on October 31,
2007.  I would be happy to answer any questions you may have about how
trademark owners depend on the Whois system for online enforcement activities.

Sincerely,

Renee Reuter, Esq.
Manager - Intellectual Property
Enterprise Rent-A-Car Company
600 Corporate Park Drive
St. Louis, MO 63105
(T) 314-512-3234
(F) 314-512-4897
rreuter@xxxxxxxx<mailto:rreuter@xxxxxxxx>

This is a confidential communication. If you are not the intended recipient,
please do not read the body of the text or any attachment, delete it entirely
from any computer, server, hard disk or memory in which it may have become
stored without creating any hard copy thereof, and send a reply to this email
acknowledging that you have done so.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are
addressed and may contain confidential and privileged information protected by
law. If you received this e-mail in error, any review, use, dissemination,
distribution, or copying of the e-mail is strictly prohibited. Please notify
the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete all copies from your system.