ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

.XXX Domain

  • To: xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: .XXX Domain
  • From: webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 21:53:16 -0000 (GMT)

Hello,

My name is J. Ryan and I am a webmaster involved in the adult arena.  I
currently manage 7 websites. I am writing you today to state that I am
strongly against the implementation of the .XXX domain.

Domain Buyers and Domain Collectors all over the world search for domains
that are worth a great deal of money, but cost only a little.  The initial
rush to purchase the .XXX domain would put a large amount of users out of
business because it is almost impossible for the true owner of sex.com to
get sex.xxx.  The brand disappears and so does the business.  At least for
many.

The intention behind this is a good one, but the only way I would support
it is if the following conditions were followed:

1. The price would be the same as the .com domain.
--This is fair practice as to not punish any one industry.

2. Current owners of domain names would be given a window of opportunity
to purchase the names they currently own in their portfolio.
--This way business can proceed as normal with as few interferences as
possible.

As I am sure you will say, the later of the 2 criteria is almost
impossible to implement without a lot of manpower behind the scenes.

Therefore, I must state once again that I am Strongly against this
implementation of law.  It is not right and the Adult Industry Does Not
Want It!  The implementation of this law will put many out of business,
destroy link trade relationships.  Not to mention that foreign webmasters
will not follow this rule as they are the major problem concerning the CP
issue.

Thank you for your time and consideration of my thoughts and opinions.  I
assure you that I do speak for most of the Adult Industry.

Sincerely,
J. Ryan
Webmaster
United States