ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

Reasons we need to avoid a dot-XXX domain

  • To: <xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Reasons we need to avoid a dot-XXX domain
  • From: "Brent and Christi Mohl" <bmohl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 22:32:37 -0500

Dear Sir/Madam:

Your efforts supporting the creation a dot-XXX domain amount in my
perception to a threat to safety of children and women, including those of
my own family.  Even tonights
<http://www.axcessnews.com/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid=12704>
news of Missourri authorities finding two boys who had been abducted by a
sex-offender, quite likely having consumed pornography, reminds us of the
danger that pornography can incent molesters to act with.

Providing a special designated category for pornography will only propogate
what harms, and in no way effectively reduce its proliferation.  You'll
simply be organizing it, and creating for many the perception of legitimacy
for what is illicit and obscene.  Purveyors of this material are the worst
offenders of guidelines, principles, regulations, and laws.  It is either
foolishness or craftiness for an hidden objective to believe or purport that
the site owners will somehow comply and lessen their exposure by removing
sites from dot-com domains en mass.

Please consider the value long-term, beyond the potential profit for those
involved, of truly reducing the harm that results from pornography if we
firmly stand against pornography and beef up or enforce the existing laws to
curb it.  As safer neighborhoods grow with strong enforcement against gangs
in some cities, rather than withdrawing or drawing "boundaries" to contain
the violence and drugs, so too the internet can be taken back for more
constructive use and further ridded of harmful material, resulting in
greater safety for the kids you and I see growing up in our families and
cities.

Respectfully and sincerely submitted,

Brent Mohl

Jamestown, NC