ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

xxx domain

  • To: <xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: xxx domain
  • From: "MediawatchUK" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 10:02:12 -0000

Dear Sir/Madam,
As an organisation operating in the United Kingdom, we are opposed to the
introduction of an xxx domain.  We understand that such a domain would not be
required for pornographers and that it would be a voluntary option.
Accordingly, any filtering system aimed at screening out xxx domains would not
secure against pornographic imagery.  We also believe that by giving
pornographic sites an xxx domain they would gain a false legitimacy and we
believe such exploitative material has no place in any civilised society.  If
the aim is to rid the Internet of such material an xxx domain would have no
effect.  Moreover, an xxx domain would enable pornographers to dictate the
nature of the material they make available on the grounds it has such a domain
and that only those who want to view pornography would go to sites with xxx
domains.  We know that youngsters are already accessing hardcore material and
some teenagers say that they are addicted to such material.  xxx domains would
make such access much easier in so far as everyone would know where it is.  In
Britain the Government is on the verge of introducing legislation that will
make illegal the possession of violent and abusive pornography.  The xxx domain
would be used by pornographers to frustrate our Government's proposals by
saying that such material would be available only through xxx domains and only
to those who pay for it and who want it and know where it can be accessed.  It
is our opinion, based on statistical analysis, that pornography has done and is
doing considerable damage to our society and culture, it contributes to family
breakdown, sexual crime and sexually transmitted infections.  Without doubt it
militates against common decency and the total community environment.
Accordingly, we hope very much that ICANN will once again reject the proposal
for xxx domains.

Regards

John C Beyer, Director, mediawatch-uk, 3 Willow House, Kennington Road,
ASHFORD, Kent, TN24 0NR

Tel: 01233 633936  Fax: 01233 633836  E-mail: info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   Web:
www.mediawatchuk.org

mediawatch-uk provides indpendent comment and opinion on media issues, has an
established reputation for principled and informed protest, publishes
newsletters, reports and briefings on content and media regulation.  Our annual
subscription is £15.00.

This message is intended for the addressee only and may contain information
that is confidential.  If you have received it in error please notify the
sender by reply and kindly delete if from your system immediately.  Any
statements herein which do not relate to the business of mediawatch-uk are
neither given nor endorsed by the organisation.

dangerous content by the http://www.invictawiz.com