ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

Implementation of the .xxx domain

  • To: xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Implementation of the .xxx domain
  • From: "kath@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <kath@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 11:06:03 -0800

I can't believe this is being considered again - will it ever stop?

As both an online entrepreneur - both in the adult and mainstream industries - and as a wife, mother and community member, I have to say that the .XXX domain idea is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard of. If the idea is to protect children online - a problem that needs to be tackled by someone like ICANN and a joint agreement by our International governments - then the earlier proposal of a .kids domain would make the most sense. Rather than creating a "red light district" online - as we've heard it called by both pro-adult entertainment groups as well as anti-adult entertainment groups - ICANN should be considering and supporting a "safety zone" - a place where parents can feel safer allowing their kids access to an approved and monitored .kids domain.

Voluntary enforcement of domain usage, as both the .xxx and the .kids would be, would be much better served as a "positive affirmation of clean sites" with a .kids focused domain - rather than as a "dumping ground for pornography" with .xxx. The adult webmaster community is more than divided on this issue as was seen in recent discussion at industry events, seminars and in group discussion at online forums. It seems that the only ones who are supporting it now are those who feel they could profit from it - all of which have NO intention of giving up their dot-com domains to solely promote their businesses through .xxx. Safe sites with kids in mind on the other hand, would benefit more by having their sites approved to be listed in a .kids domain safe zone and would likely get more use out of the new domain's opportunities.

It seems very clear that with the adult webmaster community largely opposing such a domain - and with parents groups, religious groups, conservative groups and other organizations all being AGAINST this new domain, that it would prove to ICANN once and for all that .XXX is NOT a viable solution. How long will this domain owner (ICM) be able to continue re-visiting this proposal, causing headaches for ICANN and panic through the communities? It must be stopped NOW.

Kathleen Blackwell
Southern California