ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

Adult webmasters oppose .xxx

  • To: xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Adult webmasters oppose .xxx
  • From: jason <jason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 14:54:37 -0500

Hello, I have been involved in the adult webmaster community since 1998. I wanted to voice my opinion about .xxx and the reason why I think it should not be approved.

Keeping children away from adult sites has always been important to me and I do whatever possible from submitting my sites to filters and using obvious adult names. I do not think that .xxx will keep kids away from porn. I also think ICM does not have the childrens best interest in mind at all, only using it as a platform to get .xxx passed so they can profit from it.

I think the best way to keep kids away from adult websites is parenting, plain and simple. Monitor what kids are doing online and keep the computer in the living room or a place where they can't hide what they are looking at. Parents who don't monitor their kids most likely will not have filters in place which makes .xxx useless. And if parents do take an active role in filtering, they would already have filters in place which makes .xxx redundant. If anything a .kids exention would benefit children more than anything, giving kids a safe enviroment to surf while allowing adults their rights to view adult materials. Xxx is nothing more than a way to fill ICM's pockets.

I know ICM would like you to believe that the majority of adult webmasters support .xxx. This is totally false. Only a small number of people who feel they can profit and push people out of the industry support it. Don't let ICM get rich by pretending they care about children.
Thank you for your time.
Sincerely,
Jason Newby