ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-revised-icm-agreement]

.xxx domains

  • To: xxx-revised-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: .xxx domains
  • From: "Dwane St.Marie" <powertownedistro@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 03:17:02 -0400

I am an adult content webmaster who owns several domains that I have spend a
great deal of time and money branding to my domains. I am completely opposed
to being forced to move my websites to a .xxx sTLD. I have several issues I
would like to address. The first being cyber squatters jumping in and
registering my current brand and in effect stealing all my hard work OR
demanding large amounts of money for my branded domain. If I was forced to
move to the .xxx this will amount to unfair business practice and blackmail.
I would have to pay or go out of business. You know this will happen to many
webmasters and this really needs to be considered and addressed if we are
forced out of .com .net .org and all the other TLDs. And what of porn.com,
porn.net, porn.org, porn.info etc.. It's a good assumption that they all are
adult in nature. Now what if they are registered to 4 different people.. Who
gets the porn.xxx ????? Do the other just close shop? You can't just say..
oh well..

Another concern I have is segregating my business and making it very easy
for parties to discriminate against us. Government can block access to .xxx
and deny me my constitutional right to free enterprise here in the US. It
also opens us up to corporate censorship as national Internet access
providers like Comcast and Verizon can unilaterally block their customers
from accessing our domains. Those choices should be made by the end user and
not facilitators like corps and governments. Why should we be penalized for
the greed of others? Why should we be made to suffer collateral damage for
something that has been legal, accepted practice and in compliance since the
start of the commercialization of the Internet?

I'm not saying no to .xxx. If some greedy pricks want to rape the adult
industry for absorbent fees and turn huge profits then I guess we have to
let them do it. But don't force us into it just to make a buck. These people
who support this move are doing so for all the wrong reasons. Little johnny
is still going to watch porn online just as he always has. Porn will
continue to popup on people who don't have a clue on how to stop them. None
of this plan is going to fix the things I read from supporters of .xxx. It's
not the professional adult webmasters who comply with record keeping laws,
who pay to produce or purchase produced content under license, who charge
money and keep the kids out, who spend time and money building quality
websites that are causing all the complaints from the public. Well maybe
Brazzers is, but there are bad apples in every business. It' the illegal
sites that give little Johnny an endless supply of hour long porn video's to
watch. Stolen content. Poping up ads through browser exploits and tricking
idiots into running their apps on their systems. These people will continue
no matter what ICANN does.

It's not ICANN's function to police the Internet. And this .xxx is
definitely an ignorant police action. The criminals don't play by your rules
now. What makes you think they will in the future?

Please just leave us be and come up with something constructive.