ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-revised-icm-agreement]

I oppose the .XXX tld

  • To: xxx-revised-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: I oppose the .XXX tld
  • From: Grandma Scrotum <grandmascrotum@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 16:21:23 -0700 (PDT)

I think this could be the fourth time I have written an email stating my
opposition to the idea of the .xxx tld over the last decade. I hope you take
all
the previous correspondence into account as many webmasters are tired of
repeating ourselves.

The .xxx tld is simply a license for ICM Registry to make money. They do not
represent the opinion of the majority of adult webmasters who oppose the idea.
In essence, .xxx will give governments an excuse for censorship. I'm Australian
and some politicians here have already suggested that the .xxx will be easily
added to the proposed mandatory internet filter. Naturally I oppose censorship
of adult material.

The .xxx tld will not stop children from accessing adult material. Only
parental
supervision and education can deal with that issue.

ICM Registry have not determined what constitutes "adult material" and it is
notoriously difficult to define or police.

As an adult webmaster, I reluctantly added my name to the pre-registration list
at ICM Registry when it seemed like the .xxx tld might go ahead. I only did
this
as a way of trying to secure my intellectual property, in an effort to prevent
squatters from obtaining the main domains I use. If .xxx did go ahead, I'd be
forced to buy these domains at an inflated price but I would not put anything
on
them, except perhaps a redirect to my main .com domains. I have no intention of
using .xxx beyond trying to prevent squatting. I'd rather not have to do this
at
all.

So, I'm saying it again: please do not approve .xxx

Karen aka Grandma Scrotum
Adult Webmistress