ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-tld-agreement]

Why XXX TLD is bad

  • To: <xxx-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Why XXX TLD is bad
  • From: "Peter Zendzian" <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 21:21:38 -0400

The implementation of xxx tld in itself is not bad but the forced
requirement for adult sites to only use xxx domains is.  Consider
multimillion dollar adult web business that is forced to give up it's .com
name only to have a foreign company purchase it at a later date and build an
adult empire on the previous companies traffic and branding.  How does this
protect children from exposure to pornography?  The adult material is still
available but now no longer subject to US laws.  xxx domains do not solve or
prevent child pornography.  Most owners are operators of professional adult
web sites do it to make a living and are not going to risk their livelihood
and freedom by exploiting children by promoting to children or producing
child porn.

The only real way to protect children from pornography is to remove them
from the home and place them into a state run institution that does not
allow mail, telephones, internet access or a view of the outside; where they
will be raised by dedicated government employees.  This is the best option
because we all know that government workers abhor child pornography and
exploitation of children in any form.  We never hear of government workers
being arrested for possession of child pornography, or do we?

Raising our children belongs in the home.  As a parent, I take it as my
personal responsibility to raise my children with caring and respect.  I
also know that they are intelligent and inquisitive, often much more than I
at their age.  As a teenager, I stole peeks at my fathers Playboy when he
wasn't paying attention as millions of youth have.  Did we start requiring
the postmaster censor Playboy because a child might be exposed to it?  Can
we censor internet access any better without infringing on consenting adults
freedom and liberty?

Possibly the best way to solve the problem of children accessing
pornographic content is to start at home.  Concerned citizens who do not
wish to access pornographic content can purchase inexpensive filters to
block out the adult content.  Most professional sites already participate in
a rating system which is recognized by these filters allowing them to be
extremely effective.  In stead of government sanctioned censorship of the
internet, filters allow individuals to choose what they want to view on the
internet.

Pete