ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-tld-agreement]

In regards to the .XXX proposal

  • To: xxx-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: In regards to the .XXX proposal
  • From: Mike <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 03:59:12 -0500

Hello,
I am contacting you to let ICANN know that I would be against .XXX domains for several reasons. As I understand it, existing adult sites would be forced into the .XXX "world," and I think it'd cause more trouble than it's worth, especially when it comes to squatters. If I owned girls.com, would I be entitled to girls.xxx? What if someone owned girls.net or girls.org, would they be entitled to girls.xxx? That seems to be the main gripe with myself and other adult webmasters. I feel that if you can get that concern worked out before you begin registrations, you would avert a lot of trouble, but it may be difficult to work out.

I'm not concerned about ISPs or search engines filtering out .XXX domains, because I, and other adult webmasters, would never want the wrong people coming to our site. I believe in that sense, the .XXX domain is a good idea. I would also be concerned with what your organization would consider .XXX material? Would it be just sexual imagery, or would it also entail sexual stories, or videos of extreme violence also?

I'm also concerned with how the .COM domain will be policed, will ICANN or hosting providers cancel website services that offer "adult material" on a .COM website? As of right now, there is no real enforcement of domains. Anyone can register a .ORG domain and use it for anything, not just an organization, and that goes for just about every publicly available domain extension. Would the United States government police the internet for adult websites not on .XXX domains, or would it be up to ICANN, or even web hosting providers?

I'm sure ICANN and the U.S. government have looked deep into the circumstances of the new domain, but if not, please be sure to do so. The adult industry is a multi-billion dollar one, and alot of people's livelihoods rest on it.

Thanks for your time,
Mike