Re: [alac] new gTLDs
- To: Denise Michel <denisemichel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [alac] new gTLDs
- From: Thomas Roessler <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 22:31:52 +0100
On 2003-03-05 09:17:57 -0800, Denise Michel wrote:
> Do you know what the timeline is for the gTLD committee's
The attached message from Philip Sheppard to the Council contains
the planned timeline for the "committee" work. Technically, we are
already late in submitting any position paper.
Thomas Roessler <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
--- Begin Message ---
- To: "Council (list)" <council@xxxxxxxx>
- Subject: [council] New gTLDs committee - timeline
- From: "Philip Sheppard" <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 15:51:32 +0100
Council members - please find below a reminder of the timeline for meetings and
discussion of the new gTLDs. the first call - to align positions and discuss
strategy is this week 6 February 2003 14.00 UTC.
The Task (terms of reference)
At the Board meeting in Amsterdam 2002, the Board approved an Action Plan
regarding moving forward on new gTLDs. As part of that resolution the Board
requested the GNSO " to provide a recommendation by such time as shall be
mutually agreed by the President and the Chair of the GNSO Names Council on
whether to structure the evolution of the generic top level namespace and, if
so, how to do so." This was in response to part III of the Action Plan:
Working as a committee of the whole and on such an issue is an exceptional case
and does not seem compatible with the aggressive time lines of the policy
development process intended for narrower issues. I have tried to balance a
fixed time line with the need for regular constituency consultation, and to
interpose meetings between regular Council meetings. The timelines are
realistic based on the achievability of working as a "committee of the whole"
in the past. We have indicative results for Rio and a final report by May,
which I hope fits with the Board needs on this challenging issue. There can be
lots of work by e-mail in between meetings.
1. 20 January. gTLD committee chair calls for Constituency positions latest 1
2. First committee telephone conference 6 February 2003 14.00 UTC (alignment
work plan, strategy).
(Progress report for GNSO council 20 February).
3. Second committee telephone conference 6 March 2003 14.00 UTC (discussion of
4. Initial report compiling individual constituency opinions prepared for Rio
(Progress report for GNSO Council at Rio 25? March). (Special session of the
5. Third committee telephone conference 10 April 2003 14.00 UTC (alignment on
consensus view, preparation of preliminary report).
(Progress report for GNSO Council 24 April).
6. Preliminary report comments by 30 April.
7. Fourth committee telephone conference 8 May 2003 14.00 UTC (review of
comments, preparation final report).
8. Final report presented for adoption GNSO Council 22 May.
--- End Message ---