ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] Redirection of non-existing domain names

  • To: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Redirection of non-existing domain names
  • From: Thomas Roessler <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 16:48:56 +0200

While I'd certainly agree that faking DNS records about non-existing
domain names is a bad practice for registries to apply (and should
be banned), I don't think we should get into technicalities of that
topic in any advice we give -- that's what ICANN has the Security
and Stability Advisory Committee and the Technical Liaison Group (or
even directly the IESG/IAB) for.  They can make these statements
with much more weight than we can, even if we make them as correctly
and precisely as you suggest.

I think we should phrase our observations on this rather as a
concern which should be dealt with (because it affects Internet
stability and interoperability, breaks the expectations of users,
etc.), than as "final" advice.
--
Thomas Roessler                         <roessler (at) does-not-exist.org>