ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] Redirection of non-existing domain names

  • To: Thomas Roessler <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Redirection of non-existing domain names
  • From: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 10:38:52 +0200

On Wed, 28 May 2003 16:48:56 +0200, you wrote:

>While I'd certainly agree that faking DNS records about non-existing
>domain names is a bad practice for registries to apply (and should
>be banned), I don't think we should get into technicalities of that
>topic in any advice we give -- that's what ICANN has the Security
>and Stability Advisory Committee and the Technical Liaison Group (or
>even directly the IESG/IAB) for.  They can make these statements
>with much more weight than we can, even if we make them as correctly
>and precisely as you suggest.

True, but in this specific case, it is very difficult to make an
effective recommendation without being technically precise. And by the
way, as long as we are sure that we're not saying something stupid or
incorrect in technical terms, I don't think it's bad to show that we
are able to understand technicalities too.

Anyway, we might change the sentence as follows:

"Thus we ask ICANN to ensure, by proper contractual agreements with
registries, that all queries for domain names that have not been
explicitly and singularly registered are answered with a message that
marks the domain as non-existing and that does not suggest any kind of
redirection or substitutive resource to the client."

Are there any other objections on this statement? If I don't get any
by, let's say, Tuesday evening, I will release it.
--
vb.                  [Vittorio Bertola - vb [at] bertola.eu.org]<---