ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] Re: At Large Structure application

  • To: Erick Iriarte Ahon <faia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Re: At Large Structure application
  • From: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 08:50:05 +0200

Erick Iriarte Ahon ha scritto:
My friend..
but this is one of the more interesting things, the possibility to speak in your language... for this we translate the application to spanish and portuguese... for all, the internet is for all languages, for all.

This is true, but it is also true that at this time, if you need to bring the issue at the global level (i.e. in a Committee that includes people from all the world), English is in practice the only possible choice. However, this is also why I think that our idea of letting the members from the Region review the application is good: it is likely that they will be able to understand at least a part of the languages spoken in the Region, so they will be able in many cases to accept an application in a local language, examine it, and provide to the Committee a review in English and/or a full translation of the application.

(Whether we need a full translation of the application, or whether the English review would be enough for us to vote, is something we have to decide - personally, I think that an English review could be enough if it's not too summarized.)
--
.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo vb.
Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu.org