ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

[alac] internet governance and wsis

  • To: alac@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [alac] internet governance and wsis
  • From: "Annette Muehlberg" <Annette.Muehlberg@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 20:47:29 +0200

I came across two texts in the context of the WSIS debate which might be of
interest to you:

1. the March 05 edition of the Internet Protocol journal -
an opinion article on ICANN, the ITU, WSIS and internet Governance by Geoff
Huston.
The Internet Protocol Journal, Vol.8, No.1
http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/about/about/c644/ccmigration_09186a008042a4a4.pdf

2.
> > >      *********************************************************
> > >                      The Internet Governance Project
> > >                      announces a new policy analysis:
> > >
> > >                      "WHAT DO TO ABOUT ICANN:
> > >           A PROPOSAL FOR STRUCTURAL REFORM"
> > >
> > >                      www.InternetGovernance.org
> > >
> > >      **********************************************************
> > >
> > > The authors analyze how ICANN exercises governmental powers
> > > without possessing corresponding mechanisms for accountability.
> > > They propose three accountability mechanisms:
> > > 1. Creation of an international oversight body to replace US
> > >      oversight of ICANN
> > > 2. Restoration of ICANN's global elections
> > > 3. Decentralization of the Internet root zone and coordinated
> > >      management between ICANN and the ITU.
> > >
> > > The paper is available at the Internet Governance Project site:
> > >       http://www.internetgovernance.org

> > > This analysis will be discussed in an on-line forum to be held
> > > on April 22, 2005. Additional details to be announced.
> > >

> > > The Internet Governance Project is an interdisciplinary consortium of
> > > academics comprised of:
> > > Dr. Milton Mueller, Professor, Syracuse University School of
> > >        Information Studies
> > > Dr. Hans Klein, Associate Professor, Georgia Institute of Technology,
> > >        School of Public Policy
> > > Dr. John R. Mathiason, Adjunct Professor, Syracuse University
> > >        Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs
> > > Dr. Lee McKnight, Associate Professor, Syracuse University School
> > >        of Information Studies
> > > Dr. Marc Holitscher, Lecturer, Institut für Politikwissenschaft der
> > >        Universität Zürich
> > > Dr. Derrick L. Cogburn, Assistant Pofessor, Syracuse University,
> > >        School of Information Studies

enjoy
Annette